HALO provides a unique volunteer opportunity for individuals who have a heart for children in foster care and/or children who have been adopted. Each child enrolled in the HALO Project is assigned their own personal buddy. The role of the buddy is to provide one-on-one positive nurturing interactions with a foster/adopted child during the organized HALO night events. The buddy serves as a role model for behavior and provides a secure base for the child to explore social, attachment and sensory rich activities. The buddy and child will be crafting, snacking, reading, and playing together as well as participating in group activities focused on learning life lessons such as "accepting no" and "listening and minding." Laughter and joy are utilized to promote a safe nurturing environment. This safety allows the child to learn, explore and create.
• have a heart for kids in the foster care system or kids that have been adopted
• have always wanted to mentor a child but cannot make a life-long commitment
• crave more personal hands on interactions from your volunteer opportunities
• are free on Monday nights for ten weeks
• have the desire to enhance your own teaching and interpersonal skills with children
• have the desire to learn about the effects of abuse and neglect on children and how to help them
• are free for 1 ½ days of training prior the twelve we HALO program
• are age 18 or older
Buddies commit to meeting once a week for ten weeks on Monday nights from 5:30 - 8:30 PM. In addition, Buddies participate in 1 ½ days of training prior to start of the ten week program.
Be prepared to fall in love! As a buddy, you provide much needed hands on support to a foster and/or adoptive family for a brief period of time. You give a priceless gift by becoming an integral part of a child's healing and development. In addition to helping others you will enhance your own child development skills.
All volunteers must agree to a background check, attend orientation and sign a confidentiality statement.
September 9 - November 25, 2013
Halo offers the following sessions each year:
Fall Session: September - November
Spring Session: January - September
Summer Session: June - August
Usually 6-8:00 PM but times vary by location
Angels Foster Family Network Offices
Henderson Hills Baptist Church
NorthCare (Jan 2017)
Sunbeam Family Services (Jan 2017)